The primate residents at the PRC are always so excited to see what the caregivers, interns, and volunteers have cooked up each day for the chimps’ lunch and the monkeys’ dinner. Recently, we were happy to receive a large in-kind donation from longtime donor Duff Ortman and his “little brother” Christian. The donation included nuts, pine shavings, toys, and dozens of eggs!
Inspired by the delicious eggs that all the primates love, I decided to cook up a new recipe that not only is tasty for monkeys and chimps, but could also be slightly modified (in smaller portions) to cook in your own home for family.
32 eggs (about 8 cups)
3 cups 1% milk
1 tablespoon black pepper
3 teaspoons minced garlic
9 cups cooked, diced potatoes
6 cups diced green onion
8 cups diced tomato
(I didn’t use it in this recipe, but shredded cheese would be a nice addition☺)
1. Beat eggs with the milk then cook in an electric skillet, stirring frequently. Add in the garlic and pepper and stir well.
2. Chop all cooked potatoes, tomatoes, and green onion. Toss to mix the vegetables together well.
3. Mix together the eggs and the tossed vegetables. Now is also when you could add in some shredded cheese as a tasty option☺
4. We serve the chimps their lunch in 8oz. paper cups, and the monkeys their dinner portion in a 2oz. paper cup, so next I dished out the finished product into all of the primates’ cups.
5. Finally, I place all of the monkey cups into a bin so that we can take it with us in the golf cart to distribute at dinnertime, and the chimp cups go into paper bags along with their portion of primate chow biscuits. We label all the paper bags so that each chimp has their own bag with their correct amount of chow. Donald and Ike each get 2 full cups, so we split that into 2 bags for each. We also keep an extra cup/bag ready in case anyone’s lunch bag gets dropped or stolen by another chimp (which rarely happens).
If you are interested in learning more about the PRC primates’ diets, or would like to contribute an in-kind donation of food items, please contact us HERE.